Saturday, June 18, 2011

Two Milestones in Modren Living

Two milestone moments recently--one not surprising, the other more so.

The U.S. Postal Service announced that for the first time, it was handling more junk mail than first class mail.  Although first class mail is reportedly its financial backbone, I kind of thought this milestone had been passed a long time ago.  We certainly get more junk mail than first class mail, and I use maybe one stamp a month.

Also recently, Amazon announced that for the first time, it was selling more e-books than real books.  This did surprise me, even though this seemed in the works for years.  I didn't think it would happen this soon.

I suspect its the Kindle, which did catch on, and which Amazon has been promoting relentlessly.  Apparently the Kindle has been a hit especially with women, and since women buy most of the books, I guess this makes sense.

I'd have to see a breakdown of titles being sold via ebook versus real book to be sure, but I suspect that a lot of the books sold for Kindle and such devices are the kind you'd just as soon throw away when you're finished--when you know whodunit, or who done whom, or such equally disposable nonfiction.  So in that sense, there may not yet be a mortal threat to real books.

I suppose it was a bit of a surprise to me for the same reason the Postal Service story wasn't.  I don't use first class mail much anymore, but I don't have a Kindle, and don't want one.  At least not yet.  I still prize the physicality of books, and besides, ebooks aren't any cheaper really.  Plus there's something weird about buying a book and not really owning it--it still resides somehow on somebody else's cloud, where Amazon or somebody can decide who gets to read it, how and when and even whether.  No thanks.  Too modren for me.      

No comments: