Thursday, April 21, 2011

Trumped


If in getting rid of Keith Olbermann, MSNBC thought it was eliminating the inconvenience of having someone who might look straight into the camera and state his "controversial" views with direct eloquence, they should not have given Olbermann's spot to Lawrence O'Donnell.  O'Donnell can be very witty, as the other night when he said, "If you were a collector of politically brave letters written by United States senators, you would not need much storage space.  A shoe box would do, and still leave room for at least one shoe."  But after accumulating and demonstrating the evidence, he can make that eloquence serve very direct and pointed and important statements.  I include this segment here as my evidence for this assertion, and because he is saying from the heart of the beast what I have observed from out here in the hinterlands.  And I add today (Thursday) the further evidence of another poll that nearly half of self-identified GOPers refuse to believe President Obama was born in the U.S., and two-thirds overall at least have doubts.  Here's O'Donnell's conclusion:

"The millions out there who seethe with the madness that Donald Trump stokes watch him and say hey, it‘s not just me who thinks this; Donald Trump thinks this. And he‘s a smarter guy than me, and I know he‘s a smarter guy than me, because he says he‘s smarter than me. He‘s made a lot more money than me. And that proves he‘s smarter than me.

Those people who agree with what Trump is saying about the president‘s birth aren‘t going to be bothered by his grammatical mistakes. There are just going to feel validated in every bit of the hatred they feel for Barack Obama.

There are viewers of this program that wish I would never mention the name Donald Trump. They‘ve had enough. So have I. I wish May 16th was coming tomorrow. But as long as Trump continues to try to influence our thinking about American politics and the presidency, I believe his lies must be fought.
 Because Trump‘s position in our culture now is sadly no longer simply a television entertainer who lies about nothing more important than how much money he has. When Donald Trump said, quote, “I have a great relationship with the blacks. I‘ve always had a great relationship with the blacks,” end quote, a black friend of mine e-mailed me saying, “one clue that you might not have a great relationship with the blacks is that you call them the blacks.”

No, Trump is not just an entertainer any more. He is now a very dangerous man who must be stopped from doing the damage to this country he may or may not know that he‘s doing. Donald Trump has become America‘s front man for the legitimizing of hatred and racism."

No comments: