Friday, March 11, 2011

Tsunami Between Tides

So far the damage from tsunami action has been limited to boats and habors, particularly Crescent City. So far we've caught a break in that the ocean has been at low tide when the waves hit. The tsumani has been evident to people observing--a McKinleyville resident got some video of that wave action moving up from the mouth of the Mad River, which is also very near where I am. He's most recently reported that the water has been sucked out, which suggests more wave action to come. But the total volume hasn't been major, probably because of the tides.

However, high tide is coming at noon, and that's also about the time in the process that Hawaii got more action, so we're not out of the woods here yet.

But I've been up all night, so I'm not sure I'll be awake for that. Margaret has gone to HSU for meetings, even though classes were cancelled. (There wouldn't have been many anyway--spring break starts at the end of the day.) Pema the cat is happily oblivious, and there hasn't been troublesome news from the Bay or Peninsula area. The island of Hawaii where Margaret is going was the first to be hit by the tsunami, but so far no reported damage.

Whether I can get to sleep, or whether I could stay awake, are both unknown at this point. If this is my last post for awhile, it's most likely because I did fall asleep.

No comments: