Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Future's Past


The Perisphere and other elements of the 1939 World's Fair in New York, which was an elaborate model of "The World of Tomorrow." Consider it a little ad for new posts at Kowincidence, one of my first and most neglected "blogs." It was never really a blog--more of an archive for articles and essays I wanted to preserve in cyberspace, as paradoxical as that sounds. That play on my name comes from college, when somebody (Wendy Saul? Mary Jacobson? Barbie Cottral?) dubbed me Big Kowincidence, after I'd published a Joycean/John Lennonish column that gave them all such names. Anyway, when blogspot started I immediately saw the potential for using the free server space for my own purposes. Posting old published articles also gave me the opportunity to re-edit them and restore what various editors had done to them, which was an important impulse at the time.
But that was before it was easy to post photos, etc. So I'm (slowly) rebuilding it, and finally started that process by posting a "new" article, which is actually older than most of the pieces already there. It's the combination of two articles I did in 1975 and 76, on futurists and the future. It might be interesting to compare it to our situation, and feelings about the future, more than 30 years later. More on the topic another day. In the meantime, I've added Kowincidence to the "My Little Blogosphere" list to the left, so you can tell at a glance when something "new" has been posted. Maybe you'll visit.

No comments: