Saturday, March 29, 2008

An American Dream

" The reason I got into politics was not to get my name in the papers, it was because I remembered that somebody, somewhere stood up for me. I know that people fought to make sure that I have the same rights in this country that anybody else does. That is the essence of the American story. Each of us, we're not just looking out for ourselves. When we're at our best, we're working to make everybody's lives better. We're thinking about future generations. That's what we've lost, and that's what I want to restore. If you help me, we can bring about the kind of change that makes Americans proud."

Barack Obama on Friday, March 28, at a Town Hall Meeting near Greensburg, PA, at Hempfield High School, which is about a mile from where I grew up. My sisters went there, I took a summer course there. I saw my first real football game there. This is the soil where my American dreams grew. In these important ways, the same dreams.

No comments: