Thursday, March 16, 2006

In Spaders

The southpaw blogs were singing the praises of James Spader's speech to the jury towards the end of Tuesday's episode of Boston Legal. He was defending his secretary against aggressive political prosecution for tax evasion; she was making an awkward political protest. Alan Shore, the attorney Spader plays, made an impassioned speech about American apathy in the face of so much that's happened, from no WMDs to torture and wiretapping, and the control of protest to the point that the wrong t-shirt can get you barred from a Bushite rally. (You can see it at Crooks & Liars.)

I've said it here before but it bears repeating: Boston Legal is my favorite show, and James Spader's Alan Shore is my hero. This summation to the jury is only one of many that have been more eloquent and incisive on issues of the day than anything out of politicians or media windbags. Apparently David E. Kelly, the series producer, writes these---at least that's what one of the actors, Rene Auberjonois told an interview, when he confessed that when he gets a new script he goes right to the back to read Spader's speech.

But it's Spader's delivery as well as the words that makes him my hero. Now that our president is in office for only five more episodes (on The West Wing) , we'll have to make do with a crusading lawyer. That species has been largely extinct on TV since I cut my rhetorical teeth on The Defenders and The Law and Mr. Jones in the early 60s.

Those were earnest shows, and what makes Boston Legal perfect for this time is that Spader delivers these broadsides amidst the most surreal and outrageous but smart comedy on any TV show I've seen in a long time, maybe ever. I didn't watch The Practice, the series that birthed this one, except for a few episodes, which seemed deadly serious, and very cutthroat chic. I'm only guessing, but it may have been William Shatner's guest appearances, and certainly his incredible chemistry with Spader (and both with Candace Bergen) that turned this show into what it's become.

5 comments:

Jill said...

Perhaps the greatest oratory ever delivered by a fictional character. I watched this at C&L right after watching the Paul Hackett segment on The Daily Show and Keith Olbermann on the Colbert Report.

Then I was reminded of the line from The Purple Rose of Cairo in which Mia Farrow's character says, "I've met the greatest guy....of course he's fictional, but you can't have everything."

We've found our perfect presidential candidate for 2008: Alan Shore. Of course he's fictional, but you can't have everything.

Right now I'm ready to vote for a Hackett/Spader ticket.

Hank Sims said...

I've said it here before but it bears repeating: Boston Legal is my favorite show...

Eeeugh! This is inconceivable. It must have something to do with the Star Trek connection.

I know The Wire isn't coming back until the fall, but it doesn't matter. The Wire is the greatest show on television even when it's not on television.

Oh, and you're fired.

Captain Future said...

If you paid me decently, Hank, maybe I could afford big time cable like you have, and I'd know what the hell "The Wire" is.

Anyway I quit.

Hank Sims said...

I don't have cable! I have Video Experience!

I'd highly recommend The Wire to you, Bill. It's one of the finest portraits of an American city I've ever seen. I think you'd especially like the second season.

Plus, follow the second link below and you'll see that one of the actors is a Quaker!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wire_(television)
http://www.hobotrashcan.com/interviews/lancereddick.php

Captain Future said...

I'll check it out. By the way, my lawyer advises that you can't fire me. Apparently one of the few preconditions to legally firing people is that you must first hire them.

Which probably means I can't quit either.